Cannabis niche summary
Are you thinking about starting a niche website about cannabis?
This is a great niche to start a website because this group of cannabis followers are of the most loyal you’ll ever find. The target customers are extremely passionate about the cannabis niche and always have been. People already love all the benefits they can experience from weed, so helping introduce them to this niche creates the perfect opportunity to make a very profitable niche website in cannabis.
I smoked cannabis for the first time in high school. It was a fun experience, especially since I was not interested in alcohol at the time. That euphoric “high” was enjoyable and I would smoke from time to time throughout the rest of high school and college.
Now, I live in Denver and the legal weed industry is huge. Products that I find in dispensaries make that weed I smoked in high school look like dirt. I can get weed cookies, candy, soda, vape pens and more. I can even pick weed that gives me focus and energy, or weed that puts me to sleep and heals my body.
Cannabis is more widely accepted and consumed by people of all ages since becoming recreationally legal. People of all ages and walks of life smoke weed. You can find college kids, business people, medical workers, parents, the elderly, or literally anyone in the dispensary. With the exception of alcohol, you likely won’t find a more widely diverse market than cannabis.
What is cannabis?
Cannabis: Also known as marijuana among other names, is a psychoactive drug from the Cannabis plant used primarily for medical or recreational purposes.
Learn more about the cannabis niche
Cannabis is legal for recreational use in 15 states and medical use legal in 35 states. In medically legal states, you must obtain a medical marijuana card from a medical professional to purchase weed. In recreationally legal states, you merely have to present your state ID showing you’re over the age of 21.
THC is the chemical in weed that gives you the euphoric high feeling. Depending on what type of weed you use, THC levels can spike to considerable heights. CBD is the chemical in weed that provides the healing effects.
The most popular forms of cannabis are flower, concentrates, and edibles. Flower is the regular weed you’re used to seeing, usually in nice, pretty looking buds. Concentrates are wax, shatter, or vape solutions. Edibles are anything that can be eaten or drank that contains THC.
What I like about this niche
Cannabis has an extremely long history in the world and has the followers to show for it. Globally, cannabis has one of the largest market values I’ve seen. In the United States alone, the cannabis market is growing so fast, it’s difficult to keep accurate numbers.
A growing amount of studies are being published about cannabis showing the benefits of use compared to other forms of treatment. It has shown to help with depression, anxiety, and body pain. If that’s not serious enough for you, it is also used in conjunction with popular cancer treatments.
Thanks to the long history of cannabis on our planet, you can find a large number of very loyal consumers. They also spend more on cannabis, and more often. Let’s just say, they people who support cannabis, really love cannabis and are willing to fight for it.
The market for cannabis continues to grow as more people advocate for decriminalization across America and the world. The number of states allowing marijuana use is increasing, so this is a great time to jump in before it becomes legal nationwide. If that happens.
Cannabis supports a large number of products and that continues to increase everyday. You can find plenty of different products in dispensaries for consumption. But, don’t forget about the products people use to prepare for the consumption of weed like papers and rolling trays. You also have weed merchandise like shirts and hats. Finally, you’ll find another large amount of products for people who want to grow marijuana.
What I don't like about this niche
Not many clickbank products to promote for the cannabis niche. Other than a few products, there’s nothing for cannabis lovers on clickbank. This isn’t a dealbreaker, but I typically like the well-optimized funnels including upsells associated with clickbank products.
More studies are also being conducted that claim disadvantages of prolonged marijuana use. Other studies show problems with brain development in teens and young adults if they start using marijuana too early. While these studies are still being conducted, it’s difficult to know what the public will latch onto. For example, the, since disproven, gateway drug theory was preached to my generation like gospel with no scientific evidence. Only strong public support was needed to make people think, “If you smoke weed, you’ll smoke crack, meth, heroine, etc.”
Other than these two small issues that I have to really be picky to find, cannabis is a great industry to start a niche website.
Niche pros and cons at a glance
The benefits of the huge market size and long history of loyal consumers far outweigh the drawbacks of few clickbank products and possible propaganda studies. Cannabis is a great niche to start a website.
Who should start this site:
Niche market research
The cannabis market is largely estimated by the legal sales, but a large number of illicit sales dramatically decrease the actual value.
These customers are passionate and finding them is pretty easy which is why I think you could start a highly successful niche website. Check out some of these statistics about the target audience:
Projected growth by 2027
Here are the top influencers in the cannabis niche. Browse their websites to learn more about cannabis and how to use it to improve any person’s quality of life. Then, network with them to gain even more knowledge in this niche. Also, search for ways to expand upon this topic even more on your own niche website. This is where it helps to be innovative.
I like these domains for the execution of this cannabis niche website. At the time of publishing this article, these brandable domain names are available for a discount.
Are these domain names still available?
The Time is now
for new beginnings!
What hosting I suggest for your new niche website
Hosting is a huge factor for site speed. Here is my favorite hosting provider:
Bluehost is by far my favorite hosting provider because of these 4 great reasons:
- Speed- A slow website automatically equals less profit. People won’t wait for your slow site to load, especially on their mobile devices. Also, Google won’t rank your website as high because they favor sites that load fast for their users. Bluehost helps my sites load faster than any other hosting provider I’ve used.
- Ease of Use- The most important thing about starting a new site is getting up and going as quickly as possible. That’s why I started this site, to help you get started as fast as you can. Don’t waste your time. Just click and launch.
- Cost- I get high-quality hosting for half or possibly 1/4th of what other hosting providers charge. I don’t want to break the bank to keep my site up and running. Bluehost is so cost-effective, I often sign-up for the 3-year plan because it’s less than I would usually pay for 1-year.
- Support- Things don’t usually go wrong, but if they do, you want to speak with an actual person, instantly. You don’t want to create a support ticket in your time of need. This first-class support is what ultimately won me over and prompted me to switch all of my niche websites over to Bluehost
I would structure this website to drive the visitor to a CTA which will be in exchange for their email address.
The homepage should be driving visitors to the CTA or blog posts.
The blog posts should driving visitors to other blog posts or the CTA.
I would experiment with different CTA, but I really like the thought of a cannabis quiz. I explain a little more about my site structure in the following tabs.
Pages and Menu Setup
This category explains everything related to cannabis. This will help your visitors learn more about cannabis as a full topic so they don’t have to leave your site if they have more general questions.
This category includes all resources and tips for selecting or enjoying cannabis . Daily posts could include music to listen to when high. Or tv shows to watch high. Also, practical tips like, “How to select the best flower” or “Best edibles for long trips.”
What theme I suggest for your new niche website
Professional design and functionality are important to build a successful niche website. Here is my favorite theme:
Thrive Themes is my overwhelmingly favorite theme because of these 3 excellent reasons:
- Ease of Use- You don’t want to spend hours making simple edits to your new niche website. Time is money and saving yourself time whenever possible, allows you to accomplish more in a shorter amount of time. You can also enjoy the one-click speed optimizations that would usually take hours to setup. I used to take 1-3 days to launch a new niche website if I was working at a blistering speed. Luckily, even with no experience, you can get your website up and running in minutes, thanks to Thrive Themes.
- Professional Design- People who visit your site will judge your credibility based on your website design. Consumers are smart and won’t trust your content if your website looks like it was designed a decade ago. You will have more authority in the eyes of your visitors with a professional site design, especially on mobile. More perceived authority equals more trust, which adds up to more money made by your website.
- Numerous Features- You can set yourself apart from competitors by marketing more creatively. My favorite way to accomplish this is by offering visitors a quiz, then asking for their email address before they can see the results. You can also add cool lead forms, test headlines, create courses, and more! Don’t make the mistake of launching your website with the same basic features as every other website. Wow your visitors with advanced functionality that’ll keep them returning your website like it’s a drug.
Here’s a sample of the type of images I would use on this site.
These are the most concentrated groups of people who are interested in cannabis. Since these people are already familiar with the niche, they will be more open to considering our products.
These Facebook groups have large numbers of people interested in cannabis. I like that these groups have a large number of people and are already focused on our niche. You can find a large number of groups with many people who love cannabis. You can even find groups specific to certain cannabis topics like edibles or medical use.
These forums get a ton of traffic. These forums are worth browsing through and establishing yourself as a participant. These are the most popular ones. I could’ve probably added about 100 forums to this list, but I would focus on 1 or 2 big forums for quality.
You can find a few subreddits for cannabis, but these are the most popular ones. If cannabis is legal in your area, you can usually find a local subreddit. These are the best ones worth targeting for promoting your niche site.
SEO for cannabis is difficult for generic marijuana keywords. Especially if cannabis is legal in your area. You’ll likely just get local results of dispensaries or cannabis coupon websites.
The long tail keywords are less competitive and you can find an unlimited number of user-generated keywords as more people get into cannabis. The trick here will be to answer as many questions as you can about cannabis because this industry is so new that many people have unanswered questions. If you can answer a bunch of questions and get 10-20 clicks per keyword, that adds up to a ton of traffic in the long-term.
Another thing to remember when optimizing for search is to remember what audience you’re speaking to when writing articles. Don’t target everyone who likes marijuana because this will give you a wide array of visitors, but you won’t be speaking directly to any of them. I would be sure to target some segment specifically like elderly, college kids, vacationers, athletes, first-time smokers, moms, etc. You can pretty much pick any group and they likely have a large amount of people who consume.
One last thing about SEO. Keywords that mix marijuana with another niche are big winners. I really like the cannabis and fitness keyword combinations. This intersection of customers will have double the passion and convert higher on your website because you’re speaking directly to them.
- weed for depression
- weed to help with stress
- weed vs antidepressants
- how weed affects mood
- why weed is good for athletes
- which weed makes you hyper
- who discovered weed gets you high
- which weed makes you laugh more
- which weed makes you mellow
- how weed is made
- where weed is legal map
- what weed strain am i quiz
- which weed seeds grow buds
- weed drug classification
- can weed be addictive
What SEO tool I suggest you use for your new niche website
Organic traffic is important for the long-term success of your niche website. Here is my favorite SEO tool:
Long Tail Pro
Long Tail Pro is my absolute favorite SEO tool because of these 3 exceptional reasons:
- Ease of Use- Some SEO tools make keyword research and selection a daunting task because you still have to filter through so many keywords yourself. Long Tail Pro allows you to enter a few seed keywords, then it gives you many related keywords with a score and a color. If the score is green, that means you can rank for that keyword pretty easily. If the score is red, it might be too difficult. Easy right? You can also spy on competitors backlinks, track your own rankings, and more.
- Accuracy- The accuracy of Long Tail Pro is great when it comes to working with my niche websites. I can target a keyword with confidence that I can rank because the tool provided that information. I also like being able to quickly check the difficulty of any single keyword on the fly.
- Cost- Most SEO tools can get pretty expensive really quickly. I’ve even subscribed to a free trial or just one month to download as much data as I could, then canceled because I couldn’t afford the costs. Long Tail Pro is the most cost effect SEO tool you’ll find and another one of the reasons why they’re my favorite tool to use when researching keywords for my new niche websites.
This website will be monetized with affiliate marketing to promote Amazon and Clickbank products.
Amazon Product Examples
The Cannabis Grow Bible: The Definitive Guide to Growing Marijuana for Recreational and Medicinal Use
This is the definitive guide to growing cannabis on your own. This is one of the most popular books for people who are new to growing cannabis.
VIVOSUN 48"x48"x80" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 4' x4'
This is a tent for growing cannabis indoors. It’s pretty small so you can grow in a closet or small space.
Kozo XL Wood Stash Box Kit with Rolling Tray, Locking Smell Proof Jar with Airtight Seal, Aluminium 4 Part Herb Grinder
This is a cool little kit with a tray, jar and grinder. Basically, everything you would need to store and use cannabis.
Clickbank Product Examples
Prosper CBD Pain Freeze Cream
Assuming you can get one clickbank sale per day and a few Amazon products sold with the customers making a few extra purchases you can make $2400 per month on the conservative side.
You also have the potential to make even more money by selling your own private label cbd products. I’ve seen many people doing this with great success after building an audience.
You could also explore more cannabis related affiliate products to add even more income to your niche website.
Tons of Amazon products with a few really good converting clickbank products.
*Earnings Disclaimer: We are not making any claims as to money you may earn.
Cannabis niche summary
The cannabis niche is a great topic to start a niche website. I love the extremely passionate following and the high-converting products you can promote. It also has some great brandable domain names and many easy places to find traffic. I wish you much luck in starting this niche website. I would love to start it myself, but I’d rather find more profitable niches to share with you!
This niche highlights
Are you ready to start this niche site?
This follow-along course will show you how to set up this niche website up for maximum profit.