MMA niche summary
Are you thinking about starting a niche website about Mixed Martial Arts or MMA training?
This is a great niche to start a website because the followers of the mma niche are so loyal they almost form a cult. The target customers are extremely passionate about this niche and always will be as mma continues to grow. People are still learning about the benefits they can experience from training in mma, so helping introduce them to this niche creates the perfect opportunity to make a very profitable niche website in mma training.
I’ve always enjoyed boxing and like to watch UFC with my friends. Fight parties are one of my favorite things to do and the multiple levels of fighting make cage fighting unbelievably entertaining. Some express concern about the sheer brutality of the sport, but once a fight starts, everyone is glued to the screen. You just can’t look away.
I signed my young sons up for some MMA classes and they immediately loved it. My oldest son had a few karate lessons, but these classes were next level. They had gear because they were actually sparring. And not just each other. I would regularly watch my son spar with the instructor and he loved it.
One day, I noticed my local rec center had boxing training classes. These were mostly non-contact, but went very hard on the technique and conditioning of boxing. Eventually, these classes evolved to mma training classes and immediately became three times as difficult. It would feel like my body was literally breaking in half at times. I couldn’t get enough of it.
What is MMA?
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA): Sometimes referred to as cage fighting,is a full-contact combat sport based on striking, grappling and ground fighting, incorporating techniques from various combat sports and martial arts from around the world.
Learn more about the MMA niche
Mma is a hybrid form of martial arts that blends the most effective forms of martial arts together. Typically, these include boxing, muay thai, and brazilian jui jitsu. These three forms cover strikes with the hands, feet, elbows, and knees, and ground fighting. Sometimes, fighters add other forms like wrestling or karate.
Mma is proven to be the most effective form of fighting by cage fighting and the growth of UFC. Many martial arts that are rooted in theory and include complicated moves that are defeated when matched against mma. Many mma training classes also include a little sparring which gives the trainee practical fight experience.
Mma training has become more mainstream for fitness and self-defense. It’s relatively easy to learn because the moves are simple and practical. Even if you don’t spar, the training for mma is the best kind of training you can endure and will likely give you a great chance in a self-defense scenario. Even if you are only more conditioned than your attacker.
What I like about this niche
The mma niche has a huge market potential because it’s growing as its own sub niche within the martial arts niche. Some of the other forms of martial arts find mma to be barbaric. This extreme polarization has allowed mma to essentially create its own category within another category.
Polarization also creates a cult-like following that are extremely passionate about mma. This kind of passion allows your customers to advocate for your website without much convincing on your side.
This niche also has many products to promote from equipment and gear to online classes with recurring membership fees. Many people are looking to get into mma as beginners or just want to train alone at home. This gives you a diverse target audience with varying goals that you can help them achieve.
Another thing I find very interesting about this niche is the initial shock factor. Anyone seeing this sport for the first time stops and watches because it’s in our human nature to be intrigued by violence. This dates all the way back to the gladiators fighting to the death. You can take advantage of this in your marketing.
What I don't like about this niche
The mma niche is largely influenced by actual fighters who have experience and usually have some wins. Even smaller influencers in the niche have won tiny local tournaments in small towns. This could make it difficult if you have no fighting experience.
Another thing I don’t like about this niche is that it is in the, inherently dangerous, combat niche. Anything in the combat niche poses a risk because somebody could get themselves killed by following your advice. Somebody could get a false sense of confidence after learning mma at home, and get beat up at a club because they “think” they can fight. This doesn’t necessarily make you liable, but the risk is still there because it's the combat niche.
Niche pros and cons at a glance
I think the benefits of mma’s market potential and extremely passionate following outweigh the inherent dangers of the combat niche.
Who should start this site:
Niche market research
The mma niche market is part of the martial arts industry, but is carving it’s own sub niche within the industry.
Niche projected growth
The MMA niche alone, is expected to reach $565M by 2022. It is also expected to grow by $348.4M from 2020-2024.
My conservative estimate could see the mma niche by itself, reaching $800M by 2024.
These customers are passionate about mma and include a large number of adults. Check out some of these statistics about the target audience:
- 41% are aged 25-34 with a highly disposable income.
- 44% are female.
Projected growth by 2024
Here are the top influencers in the mma niche. Browse their websites, especially UFC, to learn more about the mma world. Then, network with them and their followers to gain even more knowledge in this niche. Also, search for ways to expand upon this topic even more on your own niche website. This is where it helps to be innovative.
I like these domains for the execution of this mma niche website. At the time of publishing this article, these brandable domain names are available for a discount.
Are these domain names still available?
The Time is now
for new beginnings!
What hosting I suggest for your new niche website
Hosting is a huge factor for site speed. Here is my favorite hosting provider:
Bluehost is by far my favorite hosting provider because of these 4 great reasons:
- Speed- A slow website automatically equals less profit. People won’t wait for your slow site to load, especially on their mobile devices. Also, Google won’t rank your website as high because they favor sites that load fast for their users. Bluehost helps my sites load faster than any other hosting provider I’ve used.
- Ease of Use- The most important thing about starting a new site is getting up and going as quickly as possible. That’s why I started this site, to help you get started as fast as you can. Don’t waste your time. Just click and launch.
- Cost- I get high-quality hosting for half or possibly 1/4th of what other hosting providers charge. I don’t want to break the bank to keep my site up and running. Bluehost is so cost-effective, I often sign-up for the 3-year plan because it’s less than I would usually pay for 1-year.
- Support- Things don’t usually go wrong, but if they do, you want to speak with an actual person, instantly. You don’t want to create a support ticket in your time of need. This first-class support is what ultimately won me over and prompted me to switch all of my niche websites over to Bluehost
I would structure this website to drive the visitor to a CTA which will prompt them to enter their email address.
The homepage should be driving visitors to the CTA or blog posts.
The blog posts should drive visitors to other blog posts or the CTA.
I would experiment with different types of CTA, but I really like the thought of a MMA quiz. I explain a little more about my site structure in the following tabs.
Pages and Menu Setup
This category explains everything related to mma. This will help your visitors learn more about mma as a full topic so they don’t have to leave your site if they have more generic questions.
This category includes all resources and techniques for mma. After going through broad technique, you can go into more detail about each technique.
This category includes all commentary about current UFC news.
This category includes reviews and tutorials for products and gear related to mma.
What theme I suggest for your new niche website
Professional design and functionality are important to build a successful niche website. Here is my favorite theme:
Thrive Themes is my overwhelmingly favorite theme because of these 3 excellent reasons:
- Ease of Use- You don’t want to spend hours making simple edits to your new niche website. Time is money and saving yourself time whenever possible, allows you to accomplish more in a shorter amount of time. You can also enjoy the one-click speed optimizations that would usually take hours to setup. I used to take 1-3 days to launch a new niche website if I was working at a blistering speed. Luckily, even with no experience, you can get your website up and running in minutes, thanks to Thrive Themes.
- Professional Design- People who visit your site will judge your credibility based on your website design. Consumers are smart and won’t trust your content if your website looks like it was designed a decade ago. You will have more authority in the eyes of your visitors with a professional site design, especially on mobile. More perceived authority equals more trust, which adds up to more money made by your website.
- Numerous Features- You can set yourself apart from competitors by marketing more creatively. My favorite way to accomplish this is by offering visitors a quiz, then asking for their email address before they can see the results. You can also add cool lead forms, test headlines, create courses, and more! Don’t make the mistake of launching your website with the same basic features as every other website. Wow your visitors with advanced functionality that’ll keep them returning your website like it’s a drug.
Here’s a sample of the type of images I would use on this site.
These are the most concentrated groups of people who are interested in mma. Since these people are already familiar with the niche, they will be more open to considering our products.
These Facebook groups have large numbers of people interested in mma. I like that these groups have a large number of people and are already focused on our niche. I can continually find large groups of people that love mma and focus on different aspects such as training or UFC discussion.
These forums get a good amount of traffic because mma has such a huge, passionate following. These forums are worth browsing through and establishing yourself as a participant. I would pick one of these because they seem to be the most popular ones. I could’ve found more mma forums through my research, but this is a great start.
You can find a few subreddits for mma, but these are the most popular. They are both very active and worth targeting for the promotion of your niche site.
Mma by itself is going to be a difficult keyword to target because you’re competing with UFC and everyone that’s related to that world. The goal for our SEO strategy would be to target a specific audience within the mma niche and choose keywords that speak to them.
For example, I would target people who are interested in learning mma at home for the benefit of getting in shape. This mix of mma and fitness keywords would help me rank higher for those types of keywords and bring me more traffic.
Even when targeting a specific category within the mma niche, you will still need to ensure your SEO is in good shape because the growth of this niche will likely bring about more competition in the future. I really like the difficulty of some of these keywords though. They’re worth going after for sure.
- can mma be self taught
- how mma fighters train
- will mma get me in shape
- will mma help in a street fight
- can mma help lose weight
- mma for self defense
- mma without sparring
- can mma fighter beat boxer
- mma when showboating goes wrong
- will mma overtake boxing
- can mma fighters smoke weed
- mma like game for android
- mma is safer than boxing
- can mma fighters wear contacts
- will mma ever be an olympic sport
- what mma fighters eat
- how mma fighters cut weight
What SEO tool I suggest you use for your new niche website
Organic traffic is important for the long-term success of your niche website. Here is my favorite SEO tool:
Long Tail Pro
Long Tail Pro is my absolute favorite SEO tool because of these 3 exceptional reasons:
- Ease of Use- Some SEO tools make keyword research and selection a daunting task because you still have to filter through so many keywords yourself. Long Tail Pro allows you to enter a few seed keywords, then it gives you many related keywords with a score and a color. If the score is green, that means you can rank for that keyword pretty easily. If the score is red, it might be too difficult. Easy right? You can also spy on competitors backlinks, track your own rankings, and more.
- Accuracy- The accuracy of Long Tail Pro is great when it comes to working with my niche websites. I can target a keyword with confidence that I can rank because the tool provided that information. I also like being able to quickly check the difficulty of any single keyword on the fly.
- Cost- Most SEO tools can get pretty expensive really quickly. I’ve even subscribed to a free trial or just one month to download as much data as I could, then canceled because I couldn’t afford the costs. Long Tail Pro is the most cost effect SEO tool you’ll find and another one of the reasons why they’re my favorite tool to use when researching keywords for my new niche websites.
This website will be monetized with affiliate marketing to promote Amazon and Clickbank products.
Amazon Product Examples
RDX MMA Gloves for Grappling Martial Arts Training, D. Cut Open Palm Maya Hide Leather Sparring Mitts, Perfect for Cage Fighting, Combat Sports, Punching Bag, Muay Thai and Kickboxing
These simple mma gloves are the start for anyone interested in mma. I have a pair of these and they work great for training. Easiest purchase you can make.
Combat Sports 100-pound Muay Thai Punching Heavy Bag
This is a Muay Thai Heavy Bag and is for the person who is very serious about mma training. They will also need a mount, stand, gloves, etc.
QMUK MMA Grappling Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Wrestling Mixed Martial Arts Judo Training Kick Boxing Dummy
This is a cool dummy for training BJJ or grappling. This is for the person who is serious about groundwork and wants to improve. I want one of these for myself.
Clickbank Product Examples
Alpha Home Workout System
Cool training program to get you in fighting shape at home.
Combat Fighter and Combat Shooter
Fight training program to learn self-defense from a former special operations soldier.
Fight training program from a special forces operator that’s similar to the previous program, but seems target a different audience.
Assuming you can get one clickbank sale per day and a few Amazon products sold with the customers making a few extra purchases you can make $2100 per month on the conservative side.
You also have the potential to make even more money by selling your own mma training videos and courses.
You could also explore more mma related affiliate products to add even more income to your niche website.
Good converting Amazon and Clickbank products.
*Earnings Disclaimer: We are not making any claims as to money you may earn.
MMA niche summary
The mma niche is a great topic to start a niche website. I love the passionate following and the high-converting products you can promote. It also has some great brandable domain names and so many easy places to find traffic. I wish you much luck in starting this niche website. I would love to start it myself, but I’d rather find more profitable niches to share with you!
This niche highlights
Are you ready to start this niche site?
This follow-along course will show you how to set up this niche website up for maximum profit.